I Want To Be..

…the best father a child could ask for.

I’ll decorate their room weeks before they’re born so that they have a cozy place called home, even though they’re going to sleep in mommy and daddy’s bed for awhile. I’ll change their diapers as soon as I smell its presence. I’ll wake up at three in the morning and sing them to sleep if they wake up crying.

I’ll wake up and cook them ham, bacon or egg or even pancakes with whipped cream. I’ll buy them all the toys they want. I’ll take them to the park and afterwards we’ll go eat our favorite ice cream, whether it’s pistacio delight or almonds like their mom or strawberry like their dad. I’ll take them to waterparks or to the dopest carnivals and buy them a churro even if they cost 500 pesos. I’ll let them have their birthdays at everywhere they'd like.

I’ll drive them to their first date, no matter how awkward it is for me. I’ll give them enough allowance to hang out with friends but make sure they balance it with time with the family. I’ll support them in any activity they do. I’ll teach them how to swim, just like daddy used to when he was young. I’ll go to every one of their games and cheer them on in the stands.

I will raise them in my own self-image. I’ll go to their graduations and award ceremonies. I won’t take any credit for their accomplishments. I’ll watch them grow out of my grasp as they get big enough to make their own decisions. I’ll support most of their decisions and accept who they choose to be with.

I’ll put my kids’ needs before my own especially if it means they grow to be even a better person than their own daddy.